Re: [Synaptic-devel] Automatic deinstallation of unused automatically in

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Automatic deinstallation of unused automatically installed packages
Date: 9 Dec 2004 11:23:05 +0100

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 10:15:41AM +0100, Michael Hofmann wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

thanks for your feedback.

> I'm using aptitude and synaptic in parallel and noticed as one of
> the biggest differences the missing automatic deinstallation in
> synaptic.  aptitude keeps track whether packages are installed by
> user interaction or because of automatic dependency handling. If an
> automatic installed package is not required (or suggested) by any
> other package, it is automatically removed.

Yeah, this is a very neat feature of aptitude. I miss it as well.

> What's the general attitude towards such a feature and are there
> plans to integrate something similar in the near future?

It's a pretty big change. I would like to see this feature pushed into
libapt itself so that all applications that build on top of it
(aptitude, apt-get, synaptic, ...) get it for free. I think we'll get
it eventually, but I can't really say when. Help is very much
appreachitated :)

thanks,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ