Re: [Synaptic-devel] Synaptic Limitation

From: Q
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Synaptic Limitation
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 21:09:19 -0000

This is still a problem in other areas too.

If for example I mark several items to install - and one of these has a missing dependancy (or some other issue such as a temporarily unavaialble repository) instead of simply notifying me that only one of these packages cannot be installed, it will refuse to continue to install the rest of my selection.

Again the simplest solution would be to generate an error message stating that that particular package was unavailable and ask the user if they wanted to continue installing the rest of their selection.

I understand what you are saying about using filters but this seems unecessarily complex when I have already effectively made my selection.

In any case I did try using a filter in the way you suggested, but it did not prove 100% effective.

Also another very useful option would be to allow the user to 'reinstall everything' (or at least everything that is avaiable and can be reinstalled). This would allow me to rebuild my distro - and specifically the package cache if this should become damaged.

I can do this in Gentoo by issuing a single command - it would be very useful to be able to do the same in Debian.

GJ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sebastian Heinlein" <address@hidden>