[Synaptic-devel] APT WebSite for all linux users .deb or .rpm without In

From: Andre Gas
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] APT WebSite for all linux users .deb or .rpm without Internet line.
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:12:44 +0200

I'd like to make a website called AptOffline (ServerAPToffline) or something similar with the purpose of being able to download programs for ubuntu or debian (and also rpm) and in EASY way, via web Browser from Anywhere; this is to avoid the difficult research, if not impossible sometimes, that a user without internet line has to do from an Internet point in order to install a program, considering all the necessary or not necessary dependencies, and the correct versions for the system in use.

The IDEA is to have a web interface where the user can upload the file containing the list of the installed programs (DATABASE) on the offline machine.
>From this point one should be able to use the site as if being using synaptic (or aptitude or similars), allowing thus to:
-choose any programs with the calculation of the dependent programs o libs (and only those not already installed as identified from the DATABASE)
-to have an output, instead of the installation procedure, the list of the programs in form of links to download or, better still, one unique zipped file containing all the files already grouped from the repositories (Equal to Downloading an .exe for Windows)
-eventual commands to uninstall the packets no more necessary before or after the update.

I an not a programmer and I know not enough about Apt funtioning, anyway what I have with many other user is the necessity... so:

-is it necessary to have a linux web server with apt istances to run underneath or, can this be all done via database queries?
-Which is/are the DATABASE files the user has to collect for the upload?
-the ServerAPToffline should be constantly updated with the latest packets lists from the main repositories (the more, the better)
-how to simulate the Synaptic Software via web showing the list of available and installed packages? Being able to select them , apply and calculate dependencies
-a user might have an account in this site where one's own DATABASE file is kept and is update from the user ONLY when changes to the installations are not identical to those made on the site.

Ciao