taler

Re: [Taler] Hello

From: Joerg Baach
Subject: Re: [Taler] Hello
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 13:01:58 +0100

> would be computed exactly like for the original withdrawal.  In
> principle, a stranger total value for the refresh "withdrawal" creates a
> slightly unusual stash of coins, but I doubt this impacts anonymity
> much.

So we seem to agree that some information is leaked, the question is,
how much it matters. I guess there are different attack scenarios, so it
is hard to determine - it just leaves a bad feeling to me. If you have
transactions of the form

a --t--> b

in your system b is known. The refresh withdrawal exposes t (somewhat).
Now you only rely on keeping a anonymous, using external mechanisms.
Compare that to t being untraceable - then the anonymity of a doesn't
matter anymore.

Cheers,

  Joerg