taler

Re: [Taler] Token bartering?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Token bartering?
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 20:04:24 +0200

On 8/10/20 7:54 PM, Niels Larsen wrote:
> Christian, Taler,
>
> Thanks for the reply, very good that one does not
> have to register, thats new to me ..

I wrote nothing about registration, but indeed there is no real
registration involved.

> Well I meant commercial too: if merchant A uses
> tokens (gotten from some consumer) to buy something
> from merchant B, and then B uses those same tokens
> to buy something from A or someone else, then what
> about VAT?

I guess you are quite confused, and maybe we should start by avoiding
the term 'tokens' as that is not Taler terminology. Taler uses coins.

When a merchant receives coins from a Taler custome using the regular
payment protocol, they don't actually receive the coin's private keys,
but a statement signed by the coin's private key saying: "dear exchange,
please deposit the value of this coin into the (hash of) bank account of
this merchant in return for the (hash of) this contract".

So merchant A receives its income directly into its regular bank
account, and never in the form of a directly usable coin.  If merchant A
wants to use this income to pay merchant B, they have to use the
withdraw protocol (which includes telling their bank to send money to
the Taler exchange) to obtain freshly minted coins.

I hope this helps!

Christian