taler

[Taler] How about a Non-anonymous Taler?

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: [Taler] How about a Non-anonymous Taler?
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 02:52:14 +0100

Hello GNU Taler people!

May I ask about Taler’s business case?

As I understand it, unlike crypto currencies, Taler needs an exchange
that has a banking license (at least when trading in fiat currencies).
Therefore the exchange must invest its money with low risk and little
profit.  Taler is anonymous, so the exchange cannot make money from
selling data to credit bureaus (Schufa etc.).  So I suppose payments
with Taler would need to be more expensive, unlike cash or crypto?

For more adoption, would it therefore make sense to have the Taler
payment protocol support less expensive non-anonymous payments as
well?

I hope I’m wrong and credit bureaus do not contribute much money to
banks.

Regards,
Florian Pelz