taler

Re: [Taler] Questions re: Taler Project

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Questions re: Taler Project
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:12:44 +0200

Eh, you did see https://demo.taler.net/?

> 2. What is the major difference between this and Open Transactions?

Well, for starters, we're not implementing OTX but the Taler protocol,
which respects consumer privacy.

> 3. For microtransaction usage: Could you request a lump sum from the
> exchange and then spend that in smaller increments with the merchant? Or
> would each microtransaction be requested individually from the exchange?

You can spend smaller increments, or rather: spend a fraction and obtain
change for the remainder. For unlinkability, you do need talk to the
exchange to get unlinkable change.

> 4. What is the current status of wallet-to-wallet? Another question
> regarding that is - in wallet-to-wallet, would the receiver have to
> behave like a merchant in sense of the lack of privacy / taxation?

We're implementing it right now. The design calls for the receiver to be
again identified like a merchant, but of course if that is not required
in the jurisdiction where the exchange operates, you could disable it.

> I probably have a few more, going to keep digging in! Sorry for the
> blast of questions, but really cool project here, would love to help
> where I can!

Sure.

Happy hacking!

Christian