texinfo-devel

Re: kbd and similar command within code

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: kbd and similar command within code
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 22:27:26 GMT

    @file is now <samp>.

I don't understand.  We want @file to be like @code, not like @samp.
(I.e., no quotes in TeX or HTML.)  Right?

    Well, that's pretty easy (to be honest, now that's pretty easy),

How can one test "if the current font is monospace" in HTML?

    but it is very strange as in @kbd (which should be the common case),
    there is nothing that distinguish the @key.

1) By default, in TeX, @kbd uses slanted typewriter, thus
distinguishable from regular (upright) typewriter.

2) In Info output, I guess @kbd should use angle brackets after all, as
you have it (I think).  I just checked the Emacs manual, and in the
node `Defining Abbrevs', there is this Texinfo:

  then type @kbd{C-u 3 C-x a g f o o @key{RET}}.

which produces this in Info (with C makeinfo):

  then type `C-u 3 C-x a g f o o <RET>'.

So we should keep following that.

By the way, regarding code-inside-code stuff, in the Texinfo manual I
just came across this paragraph:

  In Info output, @code{@@kbd} is usually the same as @code{@@code},
  producing `quotes' around its argument.  However, in typewriter-like
  contexts such as the @code{@@example} environment (@pxref{example})
  and @code{@@code} command itself, the quotes are omitted, since Info
  format cannot use distinguishing fonts.

So at least @kbd inside @code should not produce quotes for sure :).