texinfo-devel

Re: white space at the beginning of lines in macro body ignored!

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: white space at the beginning of lines in macro body ignored!
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 21:56:01 GMT

     One more limitation is common to both implementations: white space is
     ignored at the beginnings of lines.

    This is not true for texi2any.  Should I make this true?  I believe it
    is very wrong, and I hope no manual use that 'feature'!

It is true in TeX.  This is another one of those "low level" parsing
things in TeX that is infeasible to change.  Therefore, for consistency,
it seems like it would be better to remove beginning-of-line whitespace
in macro definitions in texi2any too?

In all the manuals I've seen, people don't use bol whitespace in their
macros, so I doubt it makes any practical difference.  I don't know what
C makeinfo did.

I completely agree it is wrong in principle ...

Sorry,