Re: [Texmacs-dev] [Announce] nogencc-0.6

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] [Announce] nogencc-0.6
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 12:20:23 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 4 May 2002, David Allouche wrote:

> I just released TeXmacs-1.0.0.1-nogencc-0.6. It can be downloaded from:
> http://ddaa10.free.fr/texmacs/patch/1.0.0.1

Did you try to compile it with gcc 2.96 (before I retry)?

> Changes in this version:
>
>   Minor cleanup in array.h and array.cc
>
>   Refcounting fix in hashmap and rel_hashmap

Please make the necessary changes in the code only.

>   operator-> defined in basic.h are now const-correct.

Please let us deal with the const problem after the change.

>   Build system uses finer grained include path options, and support
>   aggregate compilation (gencc style) as well a separate compilation
>   (classical make style). Note that both compilation styles take the
>   same time.

Thanks.

>   More regular naming of .cc files.

Please keep the same names as before.
We will do additional cleanup afterwards.

>   Converted header files now have the .hh name extension.

Thanks.

>   Removed emacs' local variable list at end of files.

Thanks.

> Aggregate compilation did not improve the compilation time. Disabling
> automatic template instanciation does not seem to help either. In the
> next version I will try a simpler reference conting system in the hope of
> improving the compilation time.

Bad news. Maybe the C++ template system is just too monstruous
(as I think it is; too much wisdom kills the wisdom) and far from
competitive with the inherently better gencc system :^)

Did you try to compile with

export CXXFLAGS="-O3 -fexpensive-optimizations -malign-loops=2
-malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti
-fno-implicit-templates"

I do not think that reference counting will affect the compilation time a lot.

If the compilation time does not remain prohibitory (I hope it won't),
I also remind you that you should adapt the additial programs
in TeXmacs-misc to the nogencc convention.

Good luck...