Re: [Texmacs-dev] nogencc-0.10

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] nogencc-0.10
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 10:48:38 +0200 (MET DST)

> Added test for "-fno-rtti -fno-exceptions" in configure script.
> Inspired from a test in ltconfig (in GNU libtools).

What about implicit-templates? Did you test the difference
in code size and execution speed in the official distribution?

> Fixed main Makefile to support static compilation.

Great.

> Added error case to the configure script to fail if the GNU C++
> compiler cannot be found.

OK.

?

> Removed word-alignement compiler options. They provided only the
> default values on Intel and Sparc, and caused error on Solaris
> (gcc version 2.95.2 19991024).

This should depend on the architecture;
the options should be included on Intel and Sparc.

> Changed resource.hh to accomodate a template instanciation problem on
> FreeBSD
> (gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)).

OK.

> Removed --no-rtti option, because it caused a link error with gcc-2.95.2.

Please put in a condition for this; I would like to keep this option
whenever possible. By the way, I do not have this problem with gcc-2.95.2.

> Added .PHONY targets to accomodate for Cygwin's case insensitive
> filesystem.

Is that necessary? We did not need that on Cygwin.

> Assorted minor fixes to makefiles.
>
> Tested compilation on:
> Debian 3.0 on Intel           gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)
> RH-7.3 on Intel                       gcc version 2.96 20000731
> RH-7.1 on Alpha                       gcc version 2.96 20000731
> Solaris8 on Sparc R220                gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)
> Debian-2.2 on PPC RS/6000     gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)
> Debian-2.2 on Alpha           gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)
> FreeBSD 4.5 on Intel          gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)
> Cygwin on Windows98           gcc version 2.95.3-5 (cygwin special)

Great. Did you try to execute the binaries too?
This is important, because the application sometimes segfaults.

> Could not even compile mainline on MacOS X. However, there is a Fink
> package, so it is possible with a bit hacking.

Strange, the official distribution has been reported to
compile & execute well.

> Removed use of H convenience macro in hashmap.cc and hashmap_extra.cc
> because it confused Doxygen.

Please postpone this change.

> The nogencc-0.10 package and the converted TeXmacs packages are available
> for download at http://ddaa10.free.fr/texmacs/patch/1.0.0.4

Thanks.

> By the way, I am having problems with that ISP (uploads are stalling). Is
> there any other convenient and trustworthy place where I could upload my
> stuff?

I might let you upload on texmacs.org later,
but I will need to do some administration for that.