Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: [APRIL] nouveau membres et portages Linux -> Windo

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: [APRIL] nouveau membres et portages Linux -> Windows (fwd)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:50:40 +0200

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 10:33:20PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> > Malheureusement, il y a un jungle de licences qui
> > me donne le vertige. Si quelqu'un peut m'éclairer...
>
> Ce n'est pas compliqué. Qt est sous double licence GPL/QPL.
>
> Les développeurs de softs GPL non commerciaux peuvent utiliser
> Qt gratuitement et en toute liberté, sans aucun problème
> (comme KDE et compagnie).
>
> Par contre, pour développer un logiciel commercial, il faut acheter
> Qt sous sa forme commerciale, qui comprend exactement le même logiciel
> que Qt version GPL (les sources sont les mêmes), et du support.
> C'est tout.

I am absolutely not convinced.

On the Qt website, it seems pretty clear that only Qt/X11 is free as
in speech. Win32 and MacOS version *are* proprietary, and it is even
unclear whether the MacOS version is free as in beer (it looks like it
is not).

About Qt on Windows....

    The Qt Non Commercial Edition for Microsoft Windows is a binary
    only distribution requiring Microsoft Visual Studio version 6.

    [...]

    If you wish to port one of the many GPL'd Qt-based Unix
    applications to another operating system using the Qt
    non-commercial edition, you need to get that application's
    copyright holders to add an exception to its license.

So, though Qt is really fine when it comes to technical matters, I
would rather not use it... :-(

--

                             -- David --