Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs-1.0.0.10 / Cygwin: Works!

From: Marciano Siniscalchi
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs-1.0.0.10 / Cygwin: Works!
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 08:44:28 -0400

At 10:38 AM 7/25/2002 +0200, you wrote:
> A final [unrelated] note on "marketing": the real killer application of
> TeXmacs is preparing slides for presentations. Powerpoint and similar
> solutions are really not designed for math-intensive material. OTOH,
> LaTeX-based solutions are not sufficiently WYSIWYG (although, for slides at
> least, something like Whizzytex helps a lot). TeXmacs has the best of both
> worlds.

Do you mean slides for presentation using an overhead projector,
or directly from the laptop. The first thing is already possible
since a long time. We have started working on the second thing,
but we have some problems with X in order to let the window
take the size of the whole screen in a safe way.

No, I had in mind "traditional" slides---although the "direct" version will be great when it's ready.

Preparing overhead slides is a big pain in the neck. I think TeXmacs fills a very clearly defined void, and has no competition: not from Powerpoint, not from Scientific Word, and unfortunately not from LaTeX, due to the lack of WYSIWYGness.

Just my 0.02 EUR worth...