Re: [Texmacs-dev] Mandrake

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Mandrake
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 16:55:36 +0200 (MET DST)

> > > we need to submit soon a TeXmacs with its  allocation stuff
> > > #ifdef'ed out for linux (the first four functions of basic.cc). It
> > > crashes with gcc 3.2 which is the default compiler for Mandrake.
> > > And Mandrake is about to be released.
> >
> > Is that the only reason why it crashes?
> > Did you debug this carefully?
>
> I am not the only one experiencing that.  And yes. it is not the only
> crash reason but it is a very sure and a very         one. But with gcc-2.3,
> TeXmacs does not last 2 minutes even inactive with that code.  Also
> when I link to Qt, with this code TeXmacs crashes immediately.

Well, I am not willing to switch to another memory allocation scheme yet,
but I am willing to take a closer look at the problem. However,
gcc-3.2 seems to be incompatible with all existing object code.
Does this mean that I have to recompile X?  :^<

Why does it crash anyway?
Has memory allocation changed in the mean time?
Is standard C++ no longer standard?