Re: [Texmacs-dev] configure problem and portable makefiles

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] configure problem and portable makefiles
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:58:46 +0200

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 07:34:14AM +0200, PUYDT Julien wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been hit by the following configure problem: I have only gcc
> version 3.2. The configure goes ok, the building quite ok (just many
> antiquated header includes warnings)... until the link phase that fails;
> because gcc and not g++ was used to link, and since 3.2, gcc doesn't
> link c++ correctly...
>
> My workaround:
> CC=g++-3.2 CXX=g++-3.2 make -f debian/rules build > build.log 2>&1

That is weird. If you look in src/common.makefile.in, you will see

  CXX = @CXX@
  [...]
  LDB = @CXX@
  [..]
  link_bin = $(strip $(LDB) $(LDBFLAGS) $(LDBSHARED) $(1) $^ -o $@)

That means the linker and the compiler are the same command *by
design*. So I do not understand how it is possible that object are
compiled with g++ and then linked with gcc.

PS: I know the makefiles are hairy, but I did my best considering the
constraints. By the way, does someone knows about a easy to use (read,
not automake) and well supported makefile generator? Joris want
portable makefiles, but the currently they require gmake.

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org