Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Guile Cygwin

From: Dan Martens
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Guile Cygwin
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:18:02 -0400

--

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:25:58
 Stéphane Payrard wrote:
>Hi Dan,
>
>[snipped]

Hi Stephane,

>Currently I have not worked on porting the ps_device to use
>QPainter. This would probably be the part that would have helped you
>if you had choosen Qt as a toolkit.

I have no chosen Qt as a toolkit, I had heard that someone had implemented a Qt
version of Texmacs, and I thought that if it was working, the port to windows
would be much easier.

>Also, it seems that for licensing reasons, a non Qt port would be a
>good thing. What library do you intend to use?
>
> stef
No matter what I look at, it still looks like using the base Win32 layer in
Windows is the best.  There is no licensing or 3rd party code to worry about,
and we then have full control over everything.
Qt has a licensing problem, this would mean a windows port would not be free.
WXWindows has support problems and Joris has advised me against it.  Gtk, as I
have been advised by one of my peers, may not be very suitable for the
operation.  It is still up in the air at this point. The Win32 port, as we see
it, may just consist of a rewrite of texmacs XWindows calls to the windows
environment.  This may be difficult as there is not direct mapping between the
toolkits.
I realize that a Win32 port will not coexist with the POSIX distribution well,
and may require 2 seperate development branches.  This may be unavoidable
though, as the GUI is not the only problem with the port.  There are some other
areas of the code which just aren't portable.  The only way to get around this
would be to Do you have any suggestions??

Dan

Get 250 full-color business cards FREE right now!
http://businesscards.lycos.com