[Texmacs-dev] Usability of TeXmacs on 2 year old computers

From: Álvaro Tejero Cantero
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Usability of TeXmacs on 2 year old computers
Date: 12 Nov 2002 13:35:24 +0100

Igor said:

> On PIII-750 unoptimized TeXmacs is rather usable :)

With gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 and a PIII-600 Mobile I find myself
commonly thinking on how to split long paragraphs in two, since even
though my TeXmacs is optimized the performance is behind my typing
speed. Environment removal and creation on 8 page heavily mathematical
documents takes about half a second. I've seen same class computers
perform similarly (though they were always laptops).

I have 256Mb RAM, what else could be affecting performance?. Does
anybody else feel that optimized TeXmacs on PIII =>500Mhz is not fast
enough?.

Does anybody have any clues as to what to do? At the moment I cannot
afford a faster computer.

best, álvaro.

--
álvaro.tejero.cantero