Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: texmacs installation problem

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: texmacs installation problem
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:29:05 +0100 (MET)

> > So if you want to contribute to the future website for TeXmacs,
> > then this can actually be done already using our online documentation
> > system; it suffices to put it in a special directory "web".
> > However, we should first discuss a new structure for the site.
> > Pablo had some ideas on that and so do I.
>
> So, if a understand well, the conversion tools are not there yet and
> we cannot even start writing "web" documents on the CVS until some
> unspecified point in the future when you have decided for a new
> structure for the site.
>
> Generating the website using TeXmacs is a great idea, and I fully
> support it, but I was talking of short term changes.

Well, it depends what you call short term.
I think that improving the Html output filter in such a way that
it is good enough for converting our webpages is a matter of a few days.
So this can be done shortly after the release of version 1.0.1.

> > Also, the priority is not the website, but rather version 1.0.1.
> > You promised me several things for that version, so it would be nice
> > if you could finish that first. After that, we will have a discussion
> > about the website.
>
> Well... you were the one first asked me to work on the website.

If I remember well, I asked you to port the existing web pages to
the online documentation system, not to redesign them completely.
We might have a discussion on how to restructure the webpages too.

> But I agree that my time would be probably better spent working for the
> 1.0.1 release.

OK.

> Could you use Savannah's task manager to write out your expectations?

I will do this in the future; I remember having talked about
the menus, graphically nicer checks and better alignment,
the presentation mode bug, and porting existing documentation
to the new system.

> So there would be no disagreement about what I should do. Other meta
> informations (priority, dates, estimated amount of work) could also be
> very helpful.

OK, I will do so for new things.

> > > And we could probably arrange domain name transfer with
> > > the admins at gnu.org.
> >
> > We'll see; I just paid for two more years for the current IP.
> > Also, it is out of question to change the rules of the game,
> > as long as we do not have any tools for usuage statistics on Savannah.
> > In any case, all this is not urgent, so I prefer to slowly move on.
>
> I do not really care what is IP of the server. My point was just that
> I have no motivation to work on www.texmacs.org in its current status.
>
> And since things are not to change in the short term, the issue is
> closed. I will update my website, and you will take the changes if you
> like them.

I would like things to change as follows:

  * Redesign of the webpages in TeXmacs format.
  * Writing a filter for conversion to Html.
  * Writing a meta-filter for converting the whole site.
  * Updating the web-site using the meta-filter by CVS on savannah
    for each new release.
  * Mirroring the web pages on www.texmacs.org

This should not take too much time so it might be ready sometime
during the winter.