Re: [Texmacs-dev] [Axiom-developer] visual literate programming

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] [Axiom-developer] visual literate programming
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:31:07 +0100 (MET)

Hi Tim,

> I've signed up on the mailing list for TeXmacs and I downloaded
> the latest version to try it on the pamphlet files. I tried it
> against the examples
> http://home.earthlink.net/~jgg964/dhmatrix.pamphlet
> http://home.earthlink.net/~jgg964/Makefile.pamphlet
> http://home.earthlink.net/~jgg964/Magman.pamphlet

Is the pamphlet format described somewhere?
It probably just uses a particular style file.

> There are several things failing. \subsubsection is wrong.
> \cite is wrong and the whole biblio section is broken.
> Worst of all is that the <<foo>> chunks of code are
> mangled. I also tried it against the dhmatrix.tex, etc
> files and it still comes out bent. However, the math
> comes out beatifully. It does know quite a few of the
> tex directives. It ran Axiom fine from within the buffer.

I mainly had problems with Makefile.pamphlet.
Importing verbatim text is dangerous with TeXmacs,
if you created a new environment for this:
as soon as you hit a $, TeXmacs can get confused.

I did not see any problems with \subsubsection and \cite.
It should not be too hard to fix the other problems.

> This isn't a criticism of TeXmacs. It just means we need to
> work together to improve the tool and make pamphlet files
> into a "standard" for TeXmacs. There are a lot of possible
> directions including things like adding an automatic call
> to notangle, nountangle so code can be maintained directly
> from the pamphlet, including invoking the compiler on the
> untangled code. It would be nice to be able to follow
> \cite references to other pamphlets. TeXmacs needs to
> really understand the noweb chunks.

Yes, we can take a look at this.

> I really would like to make literate programs be the only
> "source" files and have the rest happen by magic.

Indeed.