Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs on Cygwin finally runs - How can I contribute

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs on Cygwin finally runs - How can I contribute in the further development?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:26:55 +0100 (MET)

> > As to a nice web-page for installing TeXmacs on Cygwin:
> > I am willing to put it on the main site, but one should first
> > write a page in a similar style as the other installation pages;
> > one should not forget that these pages should also address
> > non-experts. I started to create such a page
> >
> >     http://www.texmacs.org/Download/Cygwin.html
>
> Maybe the better thing to do is to fix the existing installer first.
>
> I posted a patch fixing the linking problems, now compiling TeXmacs on
> Cygwin should be a simple matter of running "./configure && make &&
> make install".

That has been done already.

> After that, platform specific installation instruction is just a
> matter of telling how to install the required dependences.

Yes, but the web-page should be suited for *real non-expert* users.

> > Thanks for your proposal to help us :^) In order to start,
> > you might want to try to interface TeXmacs with GNUplot.
> > Of course I have many more ideas, but I think that this will
> > be a good entrypoint for you.
>
> Don't you think it would be a good thing to document those ideas you
> have? Currently understanding the development direction of TeXmacs is
> a real detective work. Maybe the task manager would be an appropriate
> support, maybe something else would be needed.

I think that this is not necessary here: Stephan said to be interested
by an interface with GNUplot. Interfacing TeXmacs with extern systems
has been very well documented. Therefore, he can give this a try.
It seems unreasonable to expect all developers to be aware of
all aspects of TeXmacs.