Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs on Cygwin finally runs - How can I contribute

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs on Cygwin finally runs - How can I contribute in the further development?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:08:06 +0100 (MET)

> > > I posted a patch fixing the linking problems, now compiling TeXmacs on
> > > Cygwin should be a simple matter of running "./configure && make &&
> > > make install".
> >
> > That has been done already.
>
> Great. But I would have liked to know earlier. That would have
> prevented me from spending five or six hours over several days on my
> crawling VMWare Windows system.

!!??
I just told in a previous email on this list that
I applied your patch 706. I also fixed 710 in the meantime.

> > > Don't you think it would be a good thing to document those ideas you
> > > have? Currently understanding the development direction of TeXmacs is
> > > a real detective work. Maybe the task manager would be an appropriate
> > > support, maybe something else would be needed.
> >
> > I think that this is not necessary here: Stephan said to be interested
> > by an interface with GNUplot. Interfacing TeXmacs with extern systems
> > has been very well documented. Therefore, he can give this a try.
> > It seems unreasonable to expect all developers to be aware of
> > all aspects of TeXmacs.
>
> I was not talking about that specific case.
>
> All developers are likely *interested* in all aspects of TeXmacs. I
> believe we can have a healthier developper community if everyone has
> an idea of what is going on and what is there place in the big
> picture.
>
> I understand that would be a lot of time and that you have other
> things to do, so I am wondering what medium would make it easiest.
>
> That is an old topic. Generally, I think it is good to spend time to
> improve transparence and horizontal communication, but you seem to
> prefer vertical communication.

I am starting to get really irritated by this type of insinuations.
I have made a big effort to communicitate my ideas on future development
on this mailing list. Now I am not going to summarize my ideas in thousand
different ways for every potential type of user or developer. If you want
to do so, then nobody withholds you from that; the information is
available in the mailing list archives.