[Texmacs-dev] Standart compliance in HTML export

From: David Allouche
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Standart compliance in HTML export
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 17:57:51 +0100

I am studying the tmhtml converter. I would like a clear statement of
objectives regarding standard conformance for the exported HTML.

Specifically, I noticed <with|nr columns> is exported as a <multicol>
tag. However according to IndexDotHTML[1] (my HTML reference) the
multicol[2] tag is only supported (albeit problematically) by Netscape
4.x and is not part of any standard.

  [1] http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/
  [2] http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/tagpages/m/multicol.htm

That is hardly what one would call "standard compliant HTML". Of
course, exporting TeXmacs document to HTML is problematic because some
constructs may only be converted using proprietary extension. My
choice would be to just drop such structures.

One could choose compliance to one of the following standards:

  -- HTML 3.2
  -- HTML 4
  -- HTML 4 and CSS1
  -- HTML 4 and CSS2

It also seems that HTML 3.0 might be used with CSS1 (it has DIV and
SPAN elements and CLASS attribute) but I was unable to figure out a
way to link to a style definition (no HEAD/LINK or HEAD/STYLE elements
and no STYLE attribute).

Well... one might also choose some proprietary extensions (IE,
Mozilla, Netscape, Opera) but I think that would generally be a bad
idea.

My personal preference would (naturally?) be HTML4+CSS2.

There is more to discuss about HTML export, but that is the first
step.

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org