[Texmacs-dev] Re: Windows Port

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Windows Port
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 12:30:45 +0100 (MET)

Hello Dan,

> It's been a long time since I've spoken to you, but I am just writing
> to tell you that we have not forgotten about the windows port, and quite
> a bit of work has been done on it over the last couple months.  I'm
> expecting to have it completed in probably March sometime.

That is very good news. In fact you are progressing far more
quickly than me... In fact, a lot of time was taken by silly things,
and this gets worse and worse.

> We have a compiling, although not working, version in existance now.
> The approach I have taken is to leave all your code intact, and rewrite
> the underlying X-Windows calls.

So this means that you want to use the standard TeXmacs widgets?
I hope to start working on the TMGUI stuff soon, but this will probably
not be ready before march. I will make it so that you may either
reuse the TeXmacs widgets and replace the X part, or replace
the widgets by standard windows widgets. Of course, this second
step may be done a posteriori.

> Some other stuff will have to be changed, such as the large use of the
> "system" function to invoke linux shell programs.
> This does not work very well in a windows environment, since most of the
> programs you try to invoke do not exist.

Yes, I understand that. In fact I also plan to reorganize
and improve the plug-in mechanism. It might be good to
make the new mechanism more windows compatible straight away.
Would you like me to work on this before or after TMGUI?

> Also, as you might expect, the code which deals with pathing will have
> to be changed as well.

I thought about this too. Maybe we should have a conversion tool
which maps unix paths to windows paths and vice versa.
Do you have any proposal?

> Just thought I'd let you know, and that we are still working on this
> project very extensively.

I am very happy to hear that, and surely the other developers too.

Best wishes and thanks for your efforts,

Joris