Re: [Texmacs-dev] [BUG] encoding problem with Euler New Roman (ENR) math

From: david
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] [BUG] encoding problem with Euler New Roman (ENR) math font
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:15:28 +0100

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 06:12:08PM -0500, Leo Razoumov wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> in TeXmacs-1.0.1 some symbols like
>
>     \<equallim\>
>     \<longequal\>
>
> are not correctly displayed if document math font is set to
> "Euler New Roman" (ENR). I suspect some encoding issues.

I can reproduce the problem here. You are probably right.

> Any simple fix?

Well, if it was actually an encoding problem, you would:

Get the latest TeXmacs-misc package from
ftp://ftp.texmacs.org/TeXmacs/misc and the latest TeXmacs-src package
from ftp://ftp.texmacs.org/TeXmacs/targz

Expand both in the same directory.
Now you should have something like

$MYDIR
`+- TeXmacs-1.0.1.1-src
 |  `- ...
 `- TeXmacs-1.0.0.17-misc
    `- ...

cd $MYDIR/TeXmacs-1.0.1.1-src
./configure
cd ../TeXmacs-1.0.0.17-misc
TEXMACS_SRC=$MYDIR/TeXmacs-1.0.1.1-src/src make
... wait a while ...

then
TEXMACS_PATH=$MYDIR/TeXmacs-1.0.1.1-src/TeXmacs-1.0.1.1/ bin/xtexfont eurm 10

So you would get the character table for eurm and you could fix the
encoding.

Unhappily, the problem seems to be something else. You might get the
idea by looking at the files enr.enc, enr-math.enc and long.vfn in
TeXmacs-1.0.1.1-src/TeXmacs-1.0.1.1/fonts/encs/.

The file enr.enc define the encoding for enr (based on other files in
the same directory). The file enr-math.enc define the encoding of
enr-specific characters, overriding some previous definitions (mostly
in cmr, I guess). The file long.vfn is a virtual font definition which
is used to define symbols like equallim and longequal based on
characters defined.

It seems that with ENR, the virtual font definitions are somehow
messed. So my guess is that the problem is rather located in the font
system of TeXmacs, in src/Resources/, probably in
src/Resources/Fonts/.

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org