[Texmacs-dev] X Window stuff [Re: Double space after period?]

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] X Window stuff [Re: Double space after period?]
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:10:20 +0200 (CEST)

> Well, I solved the problem. It has nothing to do with your code or TeXmacs but
> with the cut-and-paste mechanism of KDE... When I pasted your code the first
> time, I marked it in KMail, CTRL-C, CTRL-V in KWrite, which leads to the
> mentioned problem. Now I deleted the first try and pasted again, this time by
> using the classical X11 method: just marking the text and pasting with the
> middle mouse button. This time everything worked fine.
> As there are no visible differences between the two versions, I opened them in
> a hexeditor discovering that the KDE-pasted version uses 0xa0 for spaces
> while the X11 version uses 0x20.

It seems that there are several problems with cut & paste.
In fact, it does not work at all in combination with certain programs.

This all boils down to the fact that many recent X Window programs
do not really use the X Window conventions (on which TeXmacs is based,
since they are well documented), but their own conventions,
like the use of particular X properties. I see at least three
points where this causes serious problems:

  1) Destroying windows (fixed by Stephane Payrard last year).
  2) Copy and paste (open).
  3) Resizing and moving windows (open; cf. presentation mode bug).

If someone could give us some useful pointers on how to address
these problems, or even fix them, then that would be a very
welcome contribution.