Re: [Texmacs-dev] Monitoring changes in mainline

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Monitoring changes in mainline
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 22:08:19 +0200 (CEST)

> > I understand, but I cannot change the mode of developement
> > during a big cleanup phase.
>
> If I understand well, you mean that you do not plan to change anyhow
> the way work is done until the cleanups are done.

Exactly.

> That is fine with me, but that does not prevent *discussion*.

Yes, but it does not imply discussion either.

> > There are also many things which don't please me in the way things
> > are being developed, but I don't complain about that so often.
>
> Please tell us what you think is wrong.

Well, I think that we are talking too much about the mode of development.
I would like to see the html/mathml working and integrated into TeXmacs.
I am willing to discuss technical *development* issues with you,
but I want to postpone the discussion of *organizational* issues.

> > By the way, I am not sure that, apart from you, there are that many
> > people who are frustrated by the development mode. If I am wrong,
> > then I would like to hear so from such other people and discuss with
> > them the solutions they propose.
>
> Here we come in the realm of non-verifiable statements, since I
> believe that people who got frustrated just went away.

That is possible, but it is also possible that the development mode is
just your personal obsession --- a concern which is not shared by others.
Also, if people went away, this may be due to the lack of documentation
as well, or the lack of stable APIs. If I were to contribute,
then I think that these issues would be far more important for me.

> I would like some input from people who just "hack something at home".
> There might be interesting hacks around whose author has not time (or
> interest) to work to the quality required for merging in mainline, but
> everyone would benenfit if such works were in public development
> branches.
>
> Is there any "hack something at home" types who can give us an idea of
> what would be convenient enough for them to publish their work?

I would rather suggest "hackers at home" to send there stuff to us,
so that we can see whether it would be worth it to put effort
in a further development. Your "a priori" concern for the *way*
a contribution should be made is irrelevant as long as such
a potential contribution does not even exist.

So: please, please, be patient, go on with your project,
and let us postpone this whole discussion.