Re: [Texmacs-dev] Multiple column support

From: david
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Multiple column support
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 12:36:19 +0200

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 04:28:51PM -0600, Nix N. Nix wrote:
> The Other News:
> I may also be able to do this:
>
>        +--------------+
>        |      __      |
>        |     /  \     |
>        |     \__/     |
>        |     _||_/    |
>        |    / ||      |
>        |    _/  \_    |
>        |              |
>        +--------------+
>     Figure 1.  Notice how
>     the caption of this
>     figure is bounded by
>     the width of the
>     graphic and not by
>     the width of the line
>
> This is doable using yet another LaTeX package called "calc", which
> contains the command "widthof" to be used like so:
>
> \widthof{\some{\LaTeX} code which \may{contain} anything, including \\
> new lines.}
>
> This command could then constitute the width parameter to the minipage,
> which would constrain the total width of the minipage, making it appear
> more like a TeXmacs figure.  Unfortunately, this means that we have to
> (tmtex ...) the contents of the figure twice, and it causes LaTeX to
> complain about "Runaway Argument" and such, especially if the figure
> contains a lot of text, instead of just an EPS image.

I think that is another case where it would be useful to have an
actual texmacs typesetter (maybe just passed as the "current buffer")
used as input to export filters.

This would make it possible to ask texmacs the displayed width of an image.

What is the opinion of the Benevolent Dictator on that issue? I am
just wasting my (digital) breath, is such a change planned, or would
it be accepted if submitted?

--
                                                            -- DDAA