Re: [Texmacs-dev] Non-reproducible crash in texmacs-win32

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Non-reproducible crash in texmacs-win32
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:22:41 +0200

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 02:37:18PM -0400, Dan Martens wrote:

> >As far as I know, texmacs-win32 is compiled using Visual Studio, so we
> >should be careful comparing win32 problems with experiences we had
> >with g++.
>
> Yes, it is compiled using VC++.

Eventually, I might migrate it to MinGW: the GNU compiler toolset for
native win32 (not Cygwin).

  http://www.mingw.org/index.shtml

>  I have disabled most of the optimizations on the compile as they
> seem to produce some weird output. This is most noticable when the
> speed optimzations are set to full.
>
> I will disable all optimizations and see what happens.
>
> Just so you know, the code base of texmacswin32.exe is version
> 1.0.0.17. Was their any weird crashes known in this build on linux??

That is very hard to tell... I have some half-decent change history
going back as far as 1.0.0.19... I could investigate it in a few days
if I get the authorization to do so. I would have to do some minor
cleanup in my changelog files on the way.

If I were to work on the win32 port right now, the first thing I would
do would be porting to MinGW to not be bothered by VC++ bugs _in
addition to_ g++ bugs. Then I would merge the changes which occured in
mainline up to the latest experimental release to be sure we are not
banging our heads against old bugs.

--
                                                            -- ddaa