Re: [Texmacs-dev] Arch mirror (was: EPS bounding box bug)

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Arch mirror (was: EPS bounding box bug)
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:58:43 +0200

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:51:21AM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, David Allouche wrote:
> > There are unconfirmed rumors that at some point in the future Joris
> > might try arch.
>
> In fact, I have still been thinking about all this and discussing
> these issues with people here in germany. I feel that something
> we *really need* is a more abstract tool (probably in C++ and maybe
> even in the core of TeXmacs) for computing structured diffs and
> computations with structured patches. This tool should be used both
> for filesystems (which can be seen as documents) and for usual documents,
> and especially for our future undo/redo system (in fact it will
> really be necessary).

Some well know dutch programmer and mathematician once said:
  "In an ideal world we have everything"
But we are not in an ideal world.

Speculation about ideal tools is a vast topic (and Arch people will be
interested by your ideas) but workflow is not improved by non-existent
ideal tools.

There are existing tools now and here which can help a lot. From my
experience, we need something working like Arch _now_. Not something
hypothetically working better at some point in the future.

Your ideas are probably very interesting but they are not relevant
in this discussion, which is about working tools now.

--
                                                            -- ddaa