Re: [Texmacs-dev] New versioning scheme for stable versions

From: Ralf Treinen
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] New versioning scheme for stable versions
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:21:39 +0200

Hi Joris,

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:09:18AM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 10:44:57PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > > I am trying to put some links to the different version for
> > > the new web site, but I cann ot find any "experimental" version.
> > > I have "stable", "testing" and "unstable".
> >
> > There is some info on experimental at
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-resources#s-experimental
> >
> > but, as I said, I haven't uploaded anything there yet.
>
> Hmm; I think it may be good to only use stable versions of TeXmacs for
> stable and testing and allow for unstable version in unstable.
> The reason is that we will get more feedback from users. Users who
> want a stable Debian system usually use testing (or stable) anyway.

The problem with debian unstable is that there is an automatic
migration into debian testing, provided that some criteria
are met (compiles on all architectures where it is supposed
to compile, no bugs above a certain severity level, etc.). The
only way to block this automatic migration would be to file
a dummy bug of release critical severity against texmacs, and
this is not what I want to do.

This is why I suggested the experimental distribution instead.
There are, however, other possibilities, like:
- uploading to my webpage at people.debian.org
- uploading into the ftp area at savannah (if this possible?)
- etc.

I just would like to keep uploading simple for me, for instance
a scp to a place where I can register the public part of my
ssh key. And I would like to restrict to only one place where
I upload by hand.

Maybe I should ask on debian-users to see what people prefer?

-Ralf.