[Texmacs-dev] References in section titles

From: David Allouche
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] References in section titles
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:09:24 +0100

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:45:11PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > Yes, this limitation sucks. This is an issue in the way automatic
> > contents (like TOCs) are generated.
>
> This is not a "limitation", since a label inside a section title
> obviously does not have the same semantics. What could be done though,
> is modifying the editing routine for inserting labels in such a way that
> we jump out of the title when starting a label inside a section title.
> If someone wants to contribute a patch...

In my opinion this is a limitation related to the fact that the
generation of automatic content cannot filter out unwanted tags and that
labels present in the section title will also appear in the table of
contents.

It makes a lot of sense to put labels associated to sections inside
section titles, and that is what many users do intuitively.

I cannot think of any useful semantic distinction between putting the
label just after or inside the section title. And anyway, it is

What I am wondering, is what is the correct way to implement the
filtering? Is it generating automatic content from Scheme, adding a
filtering in the WRITE primitive, or using a special environment
variable to disable the typesetting of labels inside TOCs?

Mhh... I think the third solution is more robust and less intrusive. I
have just read the source of typeset_label yesterday, so I see that
would not be difficult to implement. Would you like a patch?

PS: a related issue is the inclusion of footnotes in section titles,
which was previously asked for in texmacs-users.

--
                                                            -- ddaa