[Texmacs-dev] Re: Getting rid of Scheme?

From: Jan Ulrich Hasecke
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Getting rid of Scheme?
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:08:43 +0200

Hi,

just to add something from a non-programmer point-of-view: As a
translator I am involved in one of the most interesting and most
dynamic open source development I know of: Plone, which is a Content
Management System based on on Zope, which is based on Python. So
Python must be a really inspiring scripting language. ;-)

TeXmacs for me has some very annoying drawbacks. Styles are completely
opaque. I am working with LaTeX, with XHTML and CSS, but I was never
able to alter the styles in TeXmacs.

While plugins are developed rapidly for any known mathematical
programm, some core features of the editor are not implemented,
eg. navigation through headlines or environments.

Speed is an other issue. You need a really fast computer to work with
TeXmacs. I give up to work on a document with more than 100 pages,
because including does not really work. You cannot set styles in the
master document, because they do not inherit to the included
documents. If you have 20 included documents, you must alter 20
documents. And I have one document, where the same changes I made in
the other 19 will not apply.

I would not write this stuff, when I dislike TeXmacs. I like the idea
and the typesetting quality. But I cannot use it. Maybe the community
is yet too small, so that important improvements cannot be
implemented. And maybe one reason, that there are not more developers,
is the programming language.

I am sad, that I cannot provide a solution. I can just describe my
problems. How can we attract more developers to the TeXmacs-project?

juh