Re: [Texmacs-dev] Italic font display with TeXmacs 1.0.4-R2

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Italic font display with TeXmacs 1.0.4-R2
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:43:54 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Daniel,

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 address@hidden wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 address@hidden wrote:
> > > On the machine where I used the static linked binary, in text mode
> > > the italic font display as roman. There is no problem with bold font.
> >
> > Can you remove the ~/.TeXmacs directory (or move it to a safe location)
> > and start with the -d option? What output do you get?
> >
> > Thanks, Joris
>
> Attached. There was a permission problem for metafont. This
> is a little strange because I've not seen this problem on this
> machine, though I've used it with TeX and TeXmacs quite a bit
> and metafont is definitely able to make fonts on this machine
> sometimes.
>
> TeXmacs 1.0.3 has always displayed the italic fonts correctly.
>
> As you will see from the output, I restarted TeXmacs 1.0.4
> running as root. Now the italic fonts are displayed correctly
> (even running as a normal user, since metafont was able to
> make the fonts).
>
> I changed the permissions of /var/lib/texmf/ls-R after this.

OK, so that was really a classical problem.

Andreas: you might put that in the FAQ: if there is a problem
with rendering TeX fonts, then first check that Metafont has
the required permissions to create new fonts.

B.t.w.: a just heard from Martin Peters from Springer-Verlag that
you mentioned TeXmacs in your new book. Thanks a lot for this:
this kind of promotion will certainly make it easier to get
TeXmacs accepted as a standard format by publishers.

This is in fact a general request of mine: users should really try to
mention the fact that they used TeXmacs for writing articles and
try to submit TeXmacs documents. As soon as editors will have heard
about our software several times, it will be easier to get out format
accepted when we contact them.

Best wishes, Joris