Re: [Texmacs-dev] Drop-caps

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Drop-caps
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:12:48 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, [UTF-8] Rónán Daly wrote:
> I'm currently trying to write a style package for TeXmacs that make it
> easy to insert drop caps into paragraphs similar to the lettrine package
> for latex
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/lettrine/doc/
>
> This is the first time I've tried writing something like this. Currently
> I've got this
>
> <assign|drop-cap|
>       <\macro|cap|text>
> <no-indent>
> <move|<with|font-size|<times|<value|font-size>|
> <plus|2|<over|<value|par-sep>|1fn>>>|<arg|cap>>||-1bls>
> <with|font-shape|small-caps|<arg|text>>
>    \;
> </macro>>
>
> At the moment, the cap isn't the right size, I have to work out a better
> way of calculating it.
>
> The problem I have at the moment is that when the text after this macro
> wraps around at the right of the page, it appears _under_ the cap as
> opposed to the bottom right of it. Is there any way to make this occur?
> I'm also wondering if there's a command like the latex parshape one which
> can give you arbitrary paragraph breaking.

At the moment, the problem is precisely that we do not have
a "parshape" command. Together with margin notes, minipages,
and long tables this is one of the last LaTeX features which
are missing in TeXmacs. Unfortunately, I don't have time to
do something about that in the near future. When the major
reorganizations which are currently taking place will
be finished (hopefully in approx. 1 or 2 years from now),
I will certainly retake a look at this.

Best wishes, Joris