RE: [Texmacs-dev] \left( and \right) conversions from LaTeX

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Texmacs-dev] \left( and \right) conversions from LaTeX
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:00:59 -0500

Joris

On Wednesday, December 08, 2004 9:31 AM

> When using Axiom from within TeXmacs, you clearly forgot
> to put the formula inside a pair of dollars in your
> interface code. The current output is in text mode.

No. The interface definitely sends $$ before and after
the formula just as they occur in the .tex file that was
captured to a file and which I later imported.

I agree that TeXmacs appears to be in text mode. But the
$$ .... $$ markers are there, so I do not know why.

Do you have any other suggestions on how to debug this?
Are there any other plug-ins working in native Windows
TeXmacs that do successfully produce math mode output?

Perhaps I will have to revert my development of this new
Axiom interface to Linux first and see if the problem
also exists there.

> By the way, you will have another big disadvange when
> using your line-breaking code: it will become impossible
> to copy and paste part of the output back into TeXmacs.

Is that a limitation of the way in which parts of formula
can be selected in TeXmacs? What causes this limitation?
Is it specific to the \over construction. Will it also
happen if I convert to the \frac{}{} construction?

> I am not convinced either that your way of representing
> fractions is really more readable. I would rather opt for
> the / notation for large fractions. In that case, the
> standard TeXmacs line-breaking code will do the job for
> you.

Do you mean simply replacing \over (which Axiom generates
now) wiht just / ? If it is that simple, then perhaps
it would be nice to let the user decide through an option
switch specific during Axiom command input.

Thanks for your continuing help.

Regards,
Bill Page.