[Texmacs-dev] On-the-fly evaluation of CAS expressions

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] On-the-fly evaluation of CAS expressions
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:56:37 +0200

Hi *,

I am happy to announce a new facility in relation to plug-ins:
the possibility to evaluate expressions using a CAS while
writing a document. In order to try:

1) Take the last version of TeXmacs on CVS.

2) Select "Document -> Scripts" and a CAS of your choice
   (I tested with Maxima, Pari and Mupad).

3) The top-level menu Maxima (or Pari or Mupad) now allows you
   to do perform operations on the current formula, selections, etc.

4) In the image icon menu, I also added a "Plot" entry.
   This can be used for interactive plots based on Gnuplot.

5) For plots and evaluation switches, you may use C-* to
   switch between input expressions and evaluations.

6) Notice that a similar mechanism works for conversions from
   other formats to TeXmacs: try the "M-* l", "%-* L",
   "M-* h" and "M-* H" keyboard shortcuts.

I personally have to go on with other stuff now.
It would be appreciated if the maintainers of other plug-ins
(or other interested people) make this functionality work with
their plug-ins (when applicable).

Also, the Maxima, Pari and Mupad menus are very incomplete.
Any patches for more complete menus are welcome.

Best wishes, Joris