Re: [Texmacs-dev] <Del> vs. <Cut>

From: bump
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] <Del> vs. <Cut>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:36:24 -0700

Alvaro Tejero Cantero wrote:

> This is extremely annoying for everybody I know who uses TeXmacs. I have
> been wondering for long what the motivation might be, to present a solid
> case in order for this to change.

I agree.

Referring to the GNU/Linux version, this is also true with
the Backspace key -- it deletes highlighted text, even if
that is far from where the cursor is. If I wanted the text
cut, I would use Ctrl-W, so this behavior is NEVER what I
want. I use Backspace to delete the character just left of
the cursor.

I have often made such accidental deletions. The only reason
I am able to tolerate this is that undo is just one
keystroke.  But then I worry -- what if the highlighted text
is outside the displayed part of the buffer? I might never
know I had deleted it. A simple test will show that it is
possible to delete text this way in the off-screen part
of the document.

Daniel Bump