[Texmacs-dev] Better integration of TeXmacs in MacOS X

From: Ingolf Schäfer
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Better integration of TeXmacs in MacOS X
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:29:03 +0100

Hi,

I am using TeXmacs on MacOS X and wonder, if there could be a better integration of TeXmacs into the operating system. As a start, I have made an applescript droplet, with which you can open .tm files with double click out of the finder (it starts X11, if not already open and opens the file in TeXmacs).

Is there any interest, to add such a wrapper to the TeXmacs distribution? If there is, then we might even consider relasing TeXmacs as an application bundle, which does not depend one fink (i.e. a binary TeXmacs with included guile), which could be installed the Mac OS X way, by just copying the folder to your harddisk. I volunteer to build such a bundle, if anyone, besides myself would like one.

There are two other things:

First, I would like to have a spotlight plugin, to get metadata out of .tm files, for optimized searching. If I find time enough over the holidays, I will do this myself.

Second, the place of the user files in ~/.TeXmacs is rather "unmacish". I would prefer that they are by default in ~/Library/ TeXmacs, because this is the standard location or user files and moreover you can view this folder directly in the Finder.app.

Please comment on the above suggestions.

Yours,

Ingolf