Re: [Texmacs-dev] Better integration of TeXmacs in MacOS X

From: Ingolf Schäfer
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Better integration of TeXmacs in MacOS X
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:47:47 +0100

Am 19.12.2005 um 21:34 schrieb Joris van der Hoeven:

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 07:29:03PM +0100, Ingolf Schäfer wrote:
I am using TeXmacs on MacOS X and wonder, if there could be a better
integration of TeXmacs into the operating system. As a start, I have
made an applescript droplet, with which you can open .tm files with
double click out of the finder (it starts X11, if not already open
and opens the file in TeXmacs).

Is there any interest, to add such a wrapper to the TeXmacs
distribution? If there is, then we might even consider relasing
TeXmacs as an application bundle, which does not depend one fink
(i.e. a binary TeXmacs with included guile), which could be installed
the Mac OS X way, by just copying the folder to your harddisk. I
volunteer to build such a bundle, if anyone, besides myself would
like one.

Sure, I recently got a powerbook myself, and I am pretty much convinced
that both a droplet and an application bundle would be very useful.
I made a droplet myself too, but have no idea about how to make it
working elsewhere than on my laptop. As to an easy-to-install
application bundle, probably extracted from fink or so,
this would surely interest a lot of mac users.
As to a more aqua-ish GUI, that would probably be much more work.

I have made a first application bundle just for testing. You can download it here:

http://www.math.uni-bremen.de/~ovidius/texmacs.dmg.zip

The Xcode project files for the starter can be obtained here (for XCode 2.2):
http://www.math.uni-bremen.de/~ovidius/texmacsstarter-src.zip

You can install it by copying TeXmacsStarter.app anywhere you like. If you put it into the Applications folder, you should see, that all .tm files have icons now. Double-clicking a .tm file should launch X11.app and TeXmacs. The bundle itself contains a starter and binary versions of readline, guile and TeXmacs. A log file is written to ~/TeXmacs/run.log, which contains to output of TeXmacs.

At the momentary state, there are some drawbacks:
- Due to laziness this version is for Mac OS X 10.4 aka Tiger only. This can and should be fixed. - Although the starter itself is a universal binary, I did not manage to make one out of all the applications. Namely guile resists. The good news is, that cross compiling TeXmacs is no problem :-) - Launching the starter only without dropping some file, will not open TeXmacs. This will change, but for the moment I am happy with it.
- I have not applied the patches of fink for TeXmacs.
- TeXmacsStarter.app does not look for ghostscript. I am not sure, if we should include ghostscript or set some PATH variable.

First, I would like to have a spotlight plugin, to get metadata out
of .tm files, for optimized searching. If I find time enough over the
holidays, I will do this myself.

Sure, that would be nice. More generally, I am searching for someone
who would like to work on some kind of searchable "TeXmacs file system" (independently from Mac users). But this is of course a much larger project, with one nice feature that it can be developed in a quite independent way
from TeXmacs (and might be useful to other projects).
I am sorry, but I do not understand, what a searchable "TeXmacs file system" should be.

Second, the place of the user files in ~/.TeXmacs is rather
"unmacish". I would prefer that they are by default in ~/Library/
TeXmacs, because this is the standard location or user files and
moreover you can view this folder directly in the Finder.app.

One might add some #ifdef's to the source code to change the default
path for TEXMACS_HOME_PATH.
I could do this, but I just wanted to know if this is acceptable.

Yours,

Ingolf