Re: [Texmacs-dev] Fonts in texmacs

From: Magnus Ekdahl
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Fonts in texmacs
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:57:28 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
Re: [Texmacs-dev] Fonts in texmacs
      (Joris van der Hoeven)

What version of TeXmacs? New versions should be shipped with
the extra fonts package, so font generation should be less frequent.

TeXmacs version 1.6.0(-1). I think this is not a bug in texmacs, but rather a case where texmacs reveals a bug in mktexpk. While extra fonts solves the problem from texmacs point of view, I will be extra happy if I can make sure we fix the error in mktexpk also :)

Also, fonts are now generated in ~/.TeXmacs/fonts, because of
problems with permissions on several systems.

This behavior puzzles me, since you referred to redhat and fedora, which should follow the file hierarchy standard. Do you remember what versions that caused the problem?

By the way, I recently saw TeXmacs 1.0.6 on some Debian system and
it seemed that it did not depend on the extra-font package.

We are investigating the how to package these fonts in a similar manner as all the other programs in debian.[0]

0.
http://www.us.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-customized-programs.html#s11.8.5

Ralf: do you already provide a Debian package for the extra fonts?
You may also put them in TeXmacs-common.

Ralf will be back from a vacation no earlier than 22/1. Meanwhile I (comaintainer) am trying to work out how the fonts should be packaged. This will greatly be helped if you can answer some questions :)

Does TeXmacs in any way access type1 fonts through X protocol requests?

If yes:
Can you estimate what needs to be done with TeXmacs to make it use the Type1 fonts without knowing where they are located? (i.e. sysadm should have the freedom to put fonts at some remote location)

If no: (more non-intrusive, although perhaps uglier packaging)
Can write where the fonts are from, so we can estimate the probability that some other program will access the same fonts through some X protocol request in the future.

/Magnus Ekdahl