Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: [TeXmacs] Announcement: TeXmacs.app for MacOS X Ti

From: Juan Pablo Romero
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: [TeXmacs] Announcement: TeXmacs.app for MacOS X Tiger
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:13:46 -0600

2006/2/18, Felix Breuer <address@hidden>:
> On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 19:12 +0100, David MENTRE wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > [ Follow-up on texmacs-dev@ as it is more a development issue. ]
> >
> > Juan Pablo Romero <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > >[ Joris: ]
> >
> > Cairo is just a drawing library and does not have widget with native
> > look and feel of the platform.
>
> That is a good thing, IMO. See below.
>
> > OpenGL has the same issues as Cairo and moreover does not run on all
> > platforms (think PDA and broken graphic card drivers).
>
> PDA support, on the other hand, is a good thing to take into
> consideration.

> Cairo provides exactly such an abstraction layer. It is not a proven
> technology however
>
> > Would this abstract layer be used for GUI drawing (menus, scroll-bars,
> > etc.) or only for text and graphic rendering?
> >
> > In fact, it seems to me that there are two different cases to consider:
> >
> >  - the GUI (menus, ...) that should be done using a well known toolkit,
> >    Qt 4 being a very good candidate;
>
> I think it is a good thing, that TeXmacs does *not* tie itself to any
> particular GUI toolkit, because:
>
> * we could never agree on which TK to use (I can't stand Qt ;)

Regarding toolkit looks, I must confess I find the latest gnome theme
a little bit more pleasant than current kde default theme (plastik).

But, from a developer point of view, and having tried both toolkits, I
can assure you that while gtk/gnome is good, qt is simply better. Of
course, talking is almost useless per se, he/she who came up with some
code will have the last word :)

Having said that, I think your proposal of splitting texmacs in
components is the best solution.

You also mention that it requires a lot of work. Perhaps an initial
step would be just to split the GUI from the rest of the system, and
allow the rest to be compiled as a stand-alone library. Provided
documentation exists, one should be able to integrate the base system
with some toolkit without having to master texmacs internals first.

And while anyone should be able to accomplish such task, it's clear
that current texmacs developers are the best prepared to do it.