Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs server

From: Alvaro Tejero Cantero
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs server
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 12:46:54 +0200

== Regarding marking node correspondence in trees for translation ==

The naive system which I suggested is very simple in that it relies on
positional relations, which are very intuitive.

There is no extra interface needed for establishing such
correspondence: just placing a \spanish{} node after an \english{} one
translates it, and therefore there is practically no edition overhead.
One needs only a document-wide directive to define which is the source
language and which are the target ones.

Integration with current file-based version control systems (VCS),
such as CVS, could be achieved by postprocessing the main translation
file to extract the translations to separate files. This approach is
maybe not the best but it is very pragmatic.

Note also that almost no current wiki runs on top of a VCS.

Also, CVS is getting obsolete and fewer and fewer people uses it
nowadays, where either Subversion, as a drop-in replacement, or one of
the newer "distributed version control systems" such as darcs [2],
bazaar (David Allouche contributes to it) [3], mercurial [4]
substitute it.

Á.

[1] http://darcs.0x539.de/trac/obby/cgi-bin/trac.cgi
[2] http://darcs.net
[3] https://launchpad.net/projects/bzr
[4] http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi

On 6/4/06, Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 03:40:06PM +0200, Henri Lesourd wrote:
> When you say "as small as possible", you don't really
> consider the difficult problem of automatically finding
> the borders of these trees.

The user assumed to say what is the translation to what.
The problem of automatically finding what is a translation of what
is only relevant for the already existing documentation.