[Texmacs-dev] Discussion about Search Engine Plugins

From: Ingolf Schäfer
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Discussion about Search Engine Plugins
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 14:48:02 +0200

Dear all,

I have started to do a SpotLight plugin, i.e. a Search Engine Plugin for Mac OS X. There are some things which I would like to discuss here, if possible. They should be the same for all other possible architectures (Linux, BSD , Windows, ... ).

A search engine normally stores things like the name, date of creation, and so on of a certain file. If you write a plugin, you can import meta data. For instance the document title, the author's name some keywords and other related things.

1.) I would like to here some feed back on which meta tags, we should make available to the search engines. At the moment, I have just made a very crude version, which just grabs the document title and the author.

.2) But even there is a problem, because I would like at flat text representation, not a branch of the document's tree structure. Is there any TeXmacs code, which I may reuse for this?

3.) Another brute force option, would be to use the xml-format as default for TeXmacs. There excellent parsers for xml-code out there, that we could use in this case. This would make it _very_ easy to do such search engine plugins.

What is your opinion on this?

Yours,

Ingolf