[Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs

From: Henri Lesourd
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:28:51 +0100

Eugéne Suter wrote:

Hi,
I found TeXmacs on freshmeat.net <http://freshmeat.net> and its looks extremely appealing, especially since I need a lightweight app that includes graphic, algebra, formula editing and presentation capability. I'm using VectorLinux 5.3 Standard RC3, a Slackware 11 derivative using the 2.6.17.13 <http://2.6.17.13> kernel. I compiled TeXmacs and then packaged it hoping to upload it to the VectorLinux repo and share it, but I get a segmentation fault when I try running it. The message says that I need to recompile TeXmacs against an old version of Guile, since it won't work with Guile 1.8.0 (already included in the distro). Why won't TeXmacs work with a more recent version of Guile, especially since I downloaded the latest version availible ( 1.0.6.6 <http://1.0.6.6>)?

Forget Guile 1.8.0, I don't remember exactly (you can look
in the archives of the mailing list for more details about what
the problem is), but it seems that the problem is related to
some kind of bug currently in Guile 1.8.0, therefore we are
completely stuck waiting they do their corrections.

Again, I'm not sure exactly, you should check for more
details in the texmacs-dev archives. In any case, you can
solve your problem by means of installing an older version
of Guile, and then compiling TeXmacs in static mode (i.e.,
it will incorporate Guile to the TeXmacs binary) against it.

Best, Henri