Re: [Texmacs-dev] Texmacs orphaned in Debian/Ubuntu

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Texmacs orphaned in Debian/Ubuntu
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:52:33 +0100

Hi Corey,

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 10:52:34AM -0600, Corey Sweeney wrote:
> My debian info is a little old, assume this information to be about 90%
> correct. :)
>
> What that means is that there is no longer anyone on the debian team that is
> assigned to maintain the debian package for texmacs.  So bug reports will
> not go anywhere, and the version will not get updated.  I believe if a
> debian package is orphaned for long enough, it can get dropped from the
> distribution, but don't quote me on that part.

Thanks for the info.

> Anyway, as to what to do about it, one possibility would be to "campain" for
> a new maintainer. (I.E. try to find someone who's interested in becoming
> part of the debian team, and is willing to take on the maintaince of the
> texmacs package.)

Yep. Anyone on the list who would like to become the Debian maintainer?

> If your thinking of starting a group to promote texmacs, you may want to
> consider your position in the other major distributions too.  For example
> gentoo's version of texmacs is currently at:  1.0.6-r1   ("r1" is a gentoo
> thing), so most likely a gentoo maintainer would be helpfull too.

In fact it would be nice if someone would volunteer some kind of supervision
of all different TeXmacs blends for different distributions. I can provide
CVS access for maintaining the necessary pages on our website (a better way
should be developed during the year). Unfortunately, I have no longer time
for this kind of maintaining and I am getting lost in the ever growing and
changing number of Linux distributions.

So, any volunteers?

Something else (for Corey): with the latest CVS version of TeXmacs,
try the following program (in ~/.TeXmacs/progs/testje.scm)
from a scheme session; you will like it ;^)

(texmacs-module (testje))

(display* "Test module loaded\n")

(define-widget (widget-1)
  "Hallo"
  "Hopsakee")

(define-widget (widget-2)
  (concat "a+" (frac "1" "2")))

(define-widget (widget-3 given)
  (center "Test")
  (let ((hidden "Secret text"))
    (action "Given" (display* given "\n"))
    (action "Hidden" (display* hidden "\n"))))

(define-widget (widget-4)
  "Hallo"
  (toggle "pressed?" #f)
  (action "OK" (display* (form-ref "pressed?") "\n")))

(define-widget (widget-5)
  (table
    ("From:" (field "First" ""))
    ("To:" (field "Second" "")))
  (button "Copy" (form-set! "Second" (form-ref "First"))))

(define-widget (widget-6)
  (let ((nr 0)
        (busy #f)
        (sync (lambda () (form-set! "Output" (tree (number->string nr)))))
        (inc (lambda () (set! nr (+ nr 1)) (sync))))
    (field "Output" "0")
    -
    (bar :short
      (button "Start"