Re: [Texmacs-dev] Scheme to Prolog

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Scheme to Prolog
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:41:31 +0100

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 03:32:25PM +0100, Henri Lesourd wrote:
> >1) I don't think that functions like buffer-tree are "redudant":
> >this is the *clean* way to get the current buffer tree.
> >
> Providing a clean API wich only provides means for getting
> the *current* buffer tree is good, and perhaps it is clean, but
> unfortunately it is also *incomplete* : very naturally, one is
> also lead to think about getting info about the other buffers.

Sure, this has also be foreseen, although the mechanism still
has to be made more robust. The idea would be to have a construct

        (with-buffer buf
          ...)

which temporarily changes the working buffer. However, the buffer
type is not yet exported to the glue, so only a weaker replacement
for this construct is available right now.

For your memory: in the final API, there will be a few global
variables which we do not want to pass as parameters to all routines.
These are (I might forget a few):

        * The current window
        * The current buffer
        * The current drd
        * The current cursor
        * The current selection

Each of these important parameters can locally be changed
using a corresponding with- construct.