[Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs keyboard behavior

From: Stephan Mucha
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs keyboard behavior
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 16:09:35 +0100

I felt very glad when I saw Lionels patch for "Make selection
behavior more standard conformant" as this is a very important point
for my work with TeXmacs.

Unfortunaly, it doesn't adress one important problem: Selections always
go to clipboard which makes it impossible to copy one selection to the
clipboard and then select something else and replace it with the
former selection. Furthermore, selections aren't replaced by paste
operations, so that copy/paste a selection to/from secondary clipboard
doesn't work either (and the corresponding shortcut "C-V 2" seems not to
work - it means C-(V,2), isn't it, but as soon as I press the "V", a
simple paste is done - composed shortcuts like "M-i =" work correctly).

Afaik, most unix X11 applications which support both types of
selection behaviour separate the two: If one part of an document is
selected it is only available by pressing the middle mouse button and
by C-V or S-Ins if explicitly copied to clipboard via C-C or C-Ins. So
they seem to hold two clipboards, one for the current selection and
one for copy/paste operations - resp. only the latter and extract the
current selection only if requested by pressing the middle mouse
button without real clipboard handling.

Did I get something wrong? I would like to contribute to the selection
behaviour, but I didn't find out how to do it on the scheme side,
although I understood the patch of Linonel (little chances for me at
the c++-side, i simply have no idea of it).

--
Best regards
Stephan