Re: [Texmacs-dev] Math codes

From: Todd Wilson
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Math codes
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 18:08:15 -0400

Henri Lesourd wrote:
This is just a first guess : in texmath.syx, it seems that one defines
the typesetting characteristics of a group of symbols by means of
the 'Class' declaration, and then you use a 'Members' declarations
to add new already existing symbols to the group defined by means
of 'Class'.

This being said, I don't know if one can change this by means of
markup, like your '<as-class|...>'. Its rather likely that if the mechanism
for dynamically extending the functionnality of .syx files is not
documented, it doesn't exists (yet).

When TeXmacs displays a formula containing ":", it leaves no space to the left of ":" and a good deal of space to the right, which is what you would do in ordinary text, but not necessarily in math. By contrast, TeX assigns to ":" the default category of "relation", so that is leaves the same amount of space on both sides of the symbol as it does for other relation symbols like "=" and "<". And if I want to treat it as a binary operator (which still has a good deal of space on either side, but less than for a relation), I can prefix it with \mathbin; or if I want to treat it as an ordinary symbol (like a variable or a quantifier, which has no space around it), I can prefix it with \mathord, etc.

TeXmacs seems to make similar decisions about how to do spacing in math mode, so I'd just like to create a "hook" into these algorithms the way that TeX has.

But in any case, one thing you can definitely do is to write macros
to obtain exactly what you want (but as far as I understand, you
rether meant using simple symbols and automatically recognizing
them as being this one particular structurally equivalent markup
depending on the context).

No, I wasn't looking for automatic decisions based on context, just something equivalent to what TeX does: reasonable defaults for all symbols, plus a way to change the default on a per-use basis if necessary.

Anyway, as a workaround, how do I obtain exactly what I want? Do I take a look at what TeXmacs produces and then add the right amount of positive or negative space before and after the symbol to compensate? Do I create the equivalent of an \hbox, in which the symbol appears as an ordinary text symbol with the right amount of space added? Or what?

--Todd