Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs+Axiom

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs+Axiom
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:24:33 +0200

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 10:40:00PM +0200, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
> >>I just installed TeXmacs (version 1.0.6 on kubuntu), but I
> >>also have trouble getting it to work with axiom.  Additionally,
> >>it seems extremely slow, but maybe that's due to my laptop
> >>showing its age.
> >
> >Probably both. Even on a reasonably fast dual processor
> >AMD 4300+ X2, I find TeXmacs rather slow compared to most
> >other apps.

This is rubbish and only the case if you use TeXmacs in particular ways,
i.e. over a network, when compiling without optimizations,
when putting large pieces of the document in certain markup like tables,
or having a document of several hundreds of pages.

Sure, if you output a polynomial of 1000 pages, then you may have a problem,
but it is up to you not to print such output, or condense it.

> Oh that is a big issue. I haven't yet used TeXmacs again extensively,
> but this slowness in keyboard response was one of the reasons I turned
> away about one or two years ago.

Examples, timings?

> Hi, TeXmacs developers, is there a trick to delay expensive computations
> until I press a button "re-beautify"?

Rendering is already done in that way.