Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs+Axiom

From: Josef Weidendorfer
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs+Axiom
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 16:22:43 +0200

On Friday 25 May 2007, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> > We could cheat here: do only a relayout from the typing position to
> > the end of the paragraph after every key, and a complete relayout
> > only when idle.
>
> Yes, I started to rewrite the typesetter in a more lazy way to do this.
> However, this is really a gambling project: we'll know whether it works
> after several months of work. Maybe it will just fail.

That is unfortunate. My suggestions were purely based on my observation;
I did not have a look into the code to see what is possible without much
effort.

> > * When typing faster than display latency, it can last a few seconds
> > before you see anything of your typing. This means that:
> >  (1) relayouting seems to be done for key press (otherwise it should
> >      last a maximum of 0.3 seconds to display after fast typing)
>
> At the moment, this correct. The point is that the correct handling of
> the next keyboard event may require a typeset document (e.g. cursor movement).
> Things might be made lasier though, or optimized when you type
> alpha-numerical characters.

That sounds reasonable, yes.
When looking for keyboard events, and there are multiple alpha-numerical
characters in the row, you should handle these at once.

> >  (2) any redrawing gets completely suppressed when texmacs is busy
>
> No, TeXmacs will always attempt to redraw a few boxes close to your cursor.
> However, when the typesetter is really slow, delays will be accumulated.

At least, I observed a few seconds of no screen update at all when typing a
few words quite fast.

Cheers,
Josef